The parish of St. John Baptist is located to the North of the City of Preston, England on the A6, near Junction 1 of the M55, and serves the rural village of Broughton and the suburb of Fulwood. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Preston, the archdeaconry of Lancaster, and the diocese of Blackburn.
The parish church’s history began in the 12th century or before as a family chapel for the lord of the manor. The oldest part of the church is the tower dating from 1533 when Henry VIII was on the throne. The building has evolved from a wooden structure to a stone building remodelled numerous times over the centuries. The present nave was built in 1826 and the chancel added in 1906. Between 2006 and 2011 parishioners, with assistance from English Heritage, completed a significant restoration of the fabric and interior of the church at a total cost of £207,290.
It is possible to read much of the history of the parish and its people through the memorials, stained glass, and furniture within the church and the gravestones and ancient cottage in its grounds.