Shackleford is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Guildford, Surrey, England centred to the west of the A3 between Guildford and Petersfield 32 miles southwest of London and 5.2 miles southwest of Guildford.
St. Mary the Virgin Church was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott who is probably better known for designing St Pancras Station in London.
St Mary’s Church was built by Sir Archibald Buttemer in memory of his wife Julia who died in 1867 and using her family fortune derived from the sugar plantations in Jamaica. Sir Archibald engaged the famous Victorian architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, who rather typically of this period built on rather a grand scale and what it lacks in history (compared to the ancient churches of Peper Harow and Compton), it certainly makes up for, in style.
The church was consecrated by Bishop Sumner on 7th December 1865 though the spire was not finished till 1872, the same year that Charterhouse School moved from London to Godalming and whilst they waited for their own Chapel to be built, the boys would walk to St. Mary’s on Sundays.
In 2010 the very good Bishop and Starr organ was completely overhauled and restored at a cost of £26,000 to its original quality performance.
As it is the largest church of the three in the Benefice it is used for ‘large’ parish / benefice services. St Mary’s has also been used for craft fairs, presentations and talks, St Mary’s Church of England school nativity plays and some Elam Ministry events.
Taken from: http://www.comshackpep.co.uk