St. Mary’s Church in Alverstoke, near Gosport.
The district and village of Alverstoke sits West, Northwest and immediately south of Stoke Lake, from South west of Haslar Road, Clayhall Road West side – towards Alverstoke Green, south to Crescent Road, west to Stokes Bay Road and up to the south side of Bury Road. Alverstoke Borders Map.
Several of Palmerston’s Follies are sited within the parish, including Fort Gilkicker, a 19th-century coastal battery fort, which is located at the eastern end of Stokes Bay, where it sits across a wide curved natural headland taken up by Gosport & Stokes Bay Golf Club. To the east is Fort Monckton.
The Grade II listed parish church of St. Mary is one of three Church of England churches in the parish, the others being St Faith’s Church by Tribe Road and St Francis, Alverstoke between St Francis Road and Waterloo Road, Haslar. (A Chapel dedicated to St. Luke also exists within the grounds of Haslar.) St. Mary’s is of medieval origin, but has been significantly rebuilt and altered over the years. The original church was entirely replaced by the present structure, as designed by Henry Woodyer in the decorated style, when rebuilt 1863–85: its chancel was completed in 1865, and extends to three bays, two having arches to the north and south chapels; its wide nave by Woodyer was constructed in 1885 and has five arches and a south porch. Its western tower was built in 1906.
To read about the history of this Church please click here.
Click to view.